Records dating back to July 15, 1884 indicate the presence of a school known as Haynes School House in Ewing. The story repeated year after year to pupils entering Ewing Elementary School is that the school house is built over a graveyard. Some say that in the early 1900's the entire campus was covered with rock markers indicating that it was, indeed, a cemetery. A Negro lady who died at the age 111 (though the year of her death is unknown) claimed that her husband's grave was under the old Cumberland High School (where Ewing Elementary School now stands).
During the mid 18th century there was a one-room log church used for school purposes. Later a new school was erected, called Cumberland High School. Then in 1919 another new high school was built it was called the Lee County Industrial School (LCI) and many pupils who attended that school still live in the community. It can be compared to "going to college" in that there was a dormitory on campus to house those who lived too far away to walk to school.
This same building later served as a combination elementary school and high school until it burned during the 1940's.
The existing school building is considerably smaller than the LCI building as the additional space was no longer required with the opening of the new community high school in 1941 called Thomas Walker High School.
Mission Staff PTO Calendar Events Panther Tales Photo Journal ClassroomsHOME